I’ve always loved the taste of North African dishes. They are filled with such strong flavor and aromas. With a history of vast cultural and geographical interactions, it’s no wonder Moroccan dishes are always rich in a variety of spices. You’d think it would be difficult to come up with something Moroccan-inspired but it’s really not. With a little time and of course, some relaxing music playing in the background, whipping up this dish can be pretty relaxing.
Here’s an easy recipe for some Moroccan inspired chicken.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
FOR THE MOROCCAN-INSPIRED MARINADE:
Fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper
FOR THE VEGETABLES:
Dried Italian herbs
Salt and pepper
FOR THE GARNISH:
I usually like to use a variety of chicken pieces when I make a roast dish. That way there’s something for everyone. Personally though, I love chicken thighs because the meat is softer and more succulent.
- For the marinade, mix some olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, chopped garlic, cumin seeds, fennel powder, chili powder, chopped coriander and dried oregano in a bowl.
- Add some salt and pepper to taste. Rub this into the chicken and let it sit in the fridge for about an hour or two.
- For the vegetables, I like to use a variety: sweet and regular potatoes, butternut, colored peppers, red onions, baby tomatoes, carrots and button mushrooms. Chop these into different sized cubes.
- Lather these with some olive oil.
- Sprinkle on a dash of oregano and dried Italian herbs followed by salt and pepper to taste.
- I like to start by roasting the chopped chunks of butternut and potatoes first because these usually take a little longer to cook.
- After 10 – 15 minutes, add in the remaining vegetables. Let them cook for another 15 – 20 minutes.
- Roast the chicken at 120 degrees celcius for about 30 – 40 minutes. The exact time will depend on the size of your oven and pieces of chicken.
- When the chicken is almost cooked, I like to add the vegetables in, together with the chicken and let them cook together.
- Once they’re ready, sprinkle with a dash of lemon zest, crushed pistachios and sesame seeds.
- Serve with a quick tossed garden salad and some freshly made garlic bread.