Among Egypt’s major attractions, there are some that you just can’t miss. Today there are more than 90 pyramids in Egypt with the most famous ones being held at Giza. Built sometime during 2550 BC, these sites serve as tombs for both kings and queens. Here are ten things you should know before visiting the Pyramids of Giza.
- The Pyramids of Giza site opens at 08:00 and closes at 17:00 daily.
- In winter and during the auspicious festival of Ramadan, gates to the pyramids close at 16:30 and 15:00 respectively.
- Entrance tickets to the main site alone, costs around 60 Egyptian Pounds (EGP). Be sure to keep this ticket as proof of payment. You will need this ticket to enter the smaller pyramids on the eastern side of the plateau.
- Be mindful of extra costs as this is a major tourist attraction. If you would like to go inside the Great Pyramid, there is an extra cost of 100 EGP. There are only a certain number of tickets sold daily (approximately 300) and these are split between morning (08:00) and afternoon (13:00) sessions. If you would like to enter Khafre’s Pyramid, there is an extra entrance ticket which costs around 20 EGP. In addition, certain areas will charge an additional 10 EGP for cameras.
- Different pyramids are closed at different times of the year for restoration so it is possible that you may not be able to enter all the pyramids. Check online for regular updates.
- Camel rides are common around the pyramids. The best place for this is near the stables at the base of the pyramid plateau. It can cost anything from 100 EGP to 100 USD so be sure to negotiate your price sternly.
- There will be tons of vendors around trying to sell overpriced souvenirs so be sure to haggle if you like something. If you don’t want anything or don’t want to be bothered, a simple ‘no thank you’ or ‘la shukran’ should do the trick.
- Egypt is filled with an endless history so depending on the type of traveler you are, you can organize an English speaking tour guide beforehand (this can easily be done through packages offered at your hotel) or settle for an old fashioned guide book and downloadable APP. This way you’ll understand what you see, when you see it.
- Check for tour packages at your hotel that include entrances to major sites, minor pyramids and tombs as well as camel rides. These may be cheaper as a package deal.
- If you don’t want to pay for extra tickets to enter additional pyramids, then wander to the eastern side of the pyramid plateau. Here you will find three smaller pyramids where you can enter at no extra charge. All you need to do is show the first ticket purchased at the entrance.
Do you have any tips for visiting the pyramids?
2 thoughts on “10 Things You Should Know Before Visiting the Pyramids of Giza”
Great site you have here but I was curious if you knew of any user discussion forums that cover the same topics discussed here? I’d really like to be a part of online community where I can get comments from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Bless you!
Interesting post. Check our new travel blog at https://10tips.in. Cheers 👍