Sometimes I’m lazy in the kitchen and other days, I’m in full Julia Child mode. Those days, the kitchen is humming with either new inventions or dishes made from scratch. There’s something strangely satisfying about making a dish from beginning to end… maybe it’s the idea that it’s fresh and homely or maybe it’s just silly validation that you can perhaps cook after all. Last night I decided to make some beef burgers in full JC mode. Here’s my go-to recipe.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
1 Small red onion
500 g of good quality beef mince
1 Green chili (if you like spice)
2 Garlic cloves
Salt and pepper
Dried Italian herbs
Pickled jalapenos or gherkins
To make your burger:
- Finely chop the onion, garlic cloves, chili and scallions.
- Add this to the minced meat, together with some olive oil.
- Crack in the egg; add some salt, pepper and dried Italian herbs.
- With clean hands, mix everything together and divide into patties. The number of patties will depend on the size and thickness that you like. I usually like to do this part on some cling film to help shape the patties into round circles.
- Once this is done, place them on a plate and cover.
- Store in the fridge until needed.
To cook your burger:
- Preheat a large pan for about 4 minutes on a high heat then turn the heat down to medium.
- Place the burgers on the pan and use a spatula to lightly press down on them.
- Cook them to your liking for approximately 5 minutes on each side. I like my patties completely dead so I tend to leave them in the pan a little longer. Don’t overcook them though or it will become dry and crumbly.
To serve your burger:
- Halve your burger buns and lightly toast them in the pan.
- Fry up an egg to place over your grilled patty.
- Peel and finely slice the red onion into rings along with your mushrooms and peppers.
- Fry up the onions, peppers and mushrooms for a few minutes before placing them on top of the burger patty.
- Finely slice up the jalapenos or gherkins and garnish together with some iceberg lettuce.
- Serve with some fries or a quick tossed salad and enjoy!